Sunday, May 13, 2007

Newsweek, Truman and the 2008 Field...

Wanted: A New Truman. Does Anybody in the 2008 Field Have What it Takes?

News flash - what presidential candidate doesn't want to be likened to Truman, Lincoln or Washington? Does anyone really expect a candidate to say they want to be like William Henry Harrison, Millard Filmore or Jimmy Carter?

Evan Thomas of Newsweek points out that 1953, the year Truman left the White House; his administration was accused of corruption and blamed for the Korean War. I ask, if the present field of candidates were campaigning for President in 1953, do you think any of them would associate themselves with Truman or be singing his praises? Every candidate wants to be associated with the giants of our great history; that's a no brainier (See my posting on how I share many characteristics, experiences and hobbies with the past 42 Presidents who have led this great country).

Leadership is not about listening to high-priced consultants or taking a poll to figure out what you believe or your stance on an issue. Leadership is doing the right thing because it is what you believe. Leadership is about having convictions that don't change with the breeze and yet being principled enough that they are not necessarily intractable when faced with new developments.

I say let the other candidates spend tens of millions of dollars on their consultants and polls. I use my ears to listen to what the American people are saying, my eyes to see how they are doing and my heart to understand how they are feeling.

2 comments:

Goldie said...

What's wrong with Carter? I thought you were pro-peanut?! My question for you: chunky or creamy? THAT is an issue of the day.

Gregg said...

While I do enjoy peanuts in many various forms, I prefer my peanut butter creamy.